Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Greetings from Gambia - SJGH


Andrew, Aliou, and Chirag working on oxygen concentrator.


Andrew has limited internet connection and has asked me to post for him:

Greetings from the republic of the Gambia. I met up with Chirag the other day and we traveled to the town Bwiam, where he has been working on some equipment. Most the equipment has been repaired thanks to the amazing work Chirag and the the Gambians ( Saiko Gibba and Aliou Colley) have done. The hospital has recently started up a biomedical engineering department and I'm currently working with them on developing a curriculum and help on technical work. I've been teaching them basic biology and other subjects necessary. I've also been teaching the nurses basic computer skills, including Microsoft word and excel, so they can improve on their patient database. I will however be traveling to other hospitals next week to fix some of their equipment with my teammates Aliou and Saiko. I'm trying to get as much repairing done as possible while also giving them enough experience to repair on their own and teach others. It's like the saying, " catch a man a fish and he'll be satisfied for a day, teach the man to fish and he'll never be hungry".

No comments:

Post a Comment