Monday, June 7, 2010

Week 5 (5/27/2010): Royal Victorian Teaching Hospital, Banjul


Royal Victorian Teaching Hospital (RVTH)


Peter from Kenya, Carlos from Cuba, and Me (From left to right)


A portable ECG next to the WeServe Drexel toolbox


Working on a DevilBiss oxygen concentrator

Peter and I working on the Siemens MRI machine

Today I leave the Gambia and head back home. I have mixed feelings about leaving because I really miss home but I've made so many good friends here. Hopefully, I will return in the future and continue my work assisting the hospitals.

Upon arriving in Banjul I checked into the Atlantic hotel because the Royal Victorian Teaching Hostpial (RVTH) didn't have any accommodations for me. At the hospital, I worked with a Kenyan named Peter and a Cuban named Carlos. They both were doing volunteer work as well. Their mission was to repair the nonfunctioning medical equipment. At RVTH, there is a tremendous amount of old and new equipment. It is the largest and most advanced hospital in the Gambia. It is supported by its tremendous amount of donors. It houses a little over 400 beds and this hospital is where all the others send the patients they can't treat. The hospital was always busy and I had a lot of work to do when I was there. Here is some of the equipment I was able to fix and diagnose.

  • Siemens MRI machine
  • 3 Centrifuges
  • A DevilBiss oxygen concentrator
  • A portable ECG machine
Diagnosed:

  • An ultrasound: needs a new fuse
  • Two centrifuges need new "carbon brushes"

1 comment:

  1. RESPITEK MEDICAL SYSTEMS - Supplier and trader of oxygen concentrator, portable oxygen concentrator, invasive ventilation, pulse oximeter, invasive ventilator, oxygen concentrator, portable oxygen concentrator, pulse oximeter, ventilator (transport), capnograph, breathing circuit, hm electronics and bact filter.

    oxygen concentrator supplier

    ReplyDelete